Many decisions need to be made when the time comes to move a loved one into full time aged care.
Often, this time arrives unexpectedly due to an illness or a fall. With that, comes the realisation that Mum or Dad can no longer continue to live in their own home. Sometimes a decision needs to be made urgently as your loved one can no longer remain in the hospital or respite care.
Questions and unfamiliar terminology
Refundable accommodation deposits, daily accommodation payments, income-tested fees and ACAT assessments. These terms may sound unfamiliar to someone navigating the aged care system for the first time. Then there are the financial questions that need to be addressed; what should we do with the family home, will this affect Dad’s pension and how can we afford this?
In addition to managing the complexity of the aged care system, there are the emotional challenges of your loved one not wanting to leave their home or move to a new and unfamiliar environment.
HOW WE HELP CLIENTS
Getting a loved one into aged care in a timely manner can be complicated. At HLB Mann Judd in Brisbane, we have an accredited aged care professional who can support you at this time. By utilising our specialist services, we can ease the financial stress, allowing you to focus on your loved one.
Our aged care management services include:
- Explanation of the process involved – from ACAT assessment through to moving in and ongoing support.
- Negotiation assistance for accommodation bond and payment options (e.g. RAD verses DAP).
- Assistance with assessing various financial options and how they will impact fees and age pensions.
- Assessing and managing cash flow in relation to ongoing aged care fees and personal expenses.
- Advice on the financial impact of selling or keeping the family home.
- Completing any required paperwork for Centrelink / DVA – Age Pension and assets and income testing.
- Liaison with providers, facilities and Centrelink on your behalf.
- Review of your financial situation (including aged care fees and pension entitlements) for clients already in care.